As a harried working mum, a good old-fashioned roast chicken made from scratch is reserved for a special day – Christmas. For year round roast chicken hankerings, a good supermarket roast chicken will do just fine. Supermarket roast chickens have collected their share of flak over the years. But there is no denying their versatility in creating a fun meal in a matter of minutes. If you look past the roast chicken stuffed in dinner rolls with some salad and sauce cliché, you will discover a brave new world of sophisticated salads, sizzling noodles, burgeoning sandwiches, hearty soups, tacos and dumplings. You’d probably have to go around with your glass slipper before you find a roast chook that you absolutely love. Once you do, try this beautiful smokey noodle dish. Street food at it’s very best. Cheap, fast and satisfying with all the gorgeous flavours of crunchy greens and piquant sauces tossed in a wok.
My roast chook comes from Coles. We love the taste and the stuffing is not too bad either. When I am not making pesto and roast chicken grilled sandwiches for lunch boxes, I am tossing it with plump grapes and cheese for a great looking salad. But my favourite use of roast chicken is this gorgeous Asian inspired noodle stir fry. The Ikea wok I have been using for a few years might be responsible for the utterly coveted smokey flavour while a good sticky hoisin sauce brings the ingredients together. It is so good that it is threatening to replace our Friday night bolognese. Let me know if you try it. It takes 20 minutes – seriously! And you want to know a secret? Tastes as good cold as hot!
- 4 packets instant noodles (400g), cooked, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups shredded roast chicken
- 1 large carrot, julienned
- 1 red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 green capsicum, thinly sliced
- 1 cup sliced cabbage
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
- salt to taste
- a dash of white pepper
- ½ cup sliced spring onions
- To cook the noodles, bring a pot of salted water to boil. Add the packet noodles and cook for 2-4 minutes until just tender and softened. Remove from heat and drain the hot water. Rinse the cooked noodles in cold water several times to stop the cooking process. Drain all water and lightly toss with a drizzle of peanut oil. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a wok on high. Add carrot, onion and capsicum. Sauté for a couple of minutes until vegetables are glazed. Add the roast chicken, cabbage, vinegar, hoisin sauce and soy sauce. Add the cooked noodles and toss gently to coat the noodles with the sauce evenly. Season with salt and pepper. Mix well and cook for a few minutes until heated through.
- Serve hot garnished with spring onions.