I absolutely adore Apple Crumble. My most favourite is a Chai Spiced Apple Crumble that graces my cookbook. I have tried Apple Crumble Smoothies, Apple Crumble Jaffles and Apple Crumble Panacottas. This time around the Apple Crumble makes a bowl of Bircher Muesli positively delicious with its abundance of texture and subtle spices. Mix, chill and be wowed at breakfast.
- 2 cups (180g) rolled gluten-free oats
- 1 cup (50g) shredded coconut
- 600ml macadamia milk
- 100g coconut yoghurt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 apples, cored and cut into matchsticks
- extra coconut yoghurt, to serve
- chopped pecan nuts and sunflower sprouts, to serve
- Place oats, coconut, nut milk, yoghurt, cinnamon and honey in a medium sized bowl. Mix well.
- Cover with cling film and ret in the fridge overnight or at least 6 hours.
- Top with apple and extra yoghurt to serve.
- Alternatively, divide bircher into 4-6 250ml lidded jars for breakfast on the go. Just top with apple and extra yoghurt to serve.
to make macadamia milk
- Soak 125g raw macadamias in water overnight. Discard the soaking liquid and place macadamias along with 1 litre cold filtered water and pinch of salt in the jug of a blender and process until smooth. Store in a glass bottle or jug (covered) in the fridge for up to 3 days. If you prefer your nut milk a tad sweet, add a tablespoon of rapadura sugar or maple syrup or date paste during the blending process. Macadamia milk usually doesn’t need to be strained as it blends quite fine and creamy.
I usually make my own macadamia milk. If I am pressed for time, I will buy this macadamia milk.
You can sub macadamia milk with any nut or soy milk.