- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon dried garlic (or 1 garlic clove, minced)
- 1 leek, thinly sliced (white only)
- 1 medium potato, peeled and finely diced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and finely diced
- 1 medium zucchini, ends trimmed and finely diced
- 1 X 400g canned diced tomato
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup small pasta (ditalini, tubetti or macaroni)
- 1 cup baby spinach leaves, chopped
- 1–2 florets broccoli, chopped
- few sprigs of fresh parsley and basil leaves, finely chopped
- salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper
- parmesan, to sprinkle
- Heat oil in a 4-litre cooking pot on medium. Add bay leaf, garlic and leek. Sauté for a couple of minutes until leek starts to caramelize.
- Add potato and carrot. Mix well and cook for a few minutes until vegetables are glazed. Add zucchini and sauté for a couple of minutes.
- Add tomato, balsamic vinegar, oregano and parsley. Mix well and cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add the vegetable stock and pasta. Mix well and simmer (uncovered) for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally until the vegetables are tender and pasta is al dente.
- Add spinach, broccoli and chopped herbs. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook for 5 minutes until broccoli is tender.
- Remove from heat. Serve with a sprinkling of parmesan.
For A Vegan Version – Skip the Parmesan cheese. Top with Cashew Cheese sprinkles.
For A Gluten-Free Version – Use gluten-free pasta instead of regular pasta.