Blood oranges have a very short season and a big batch of granita made in a jiffy can prolong their presence in your life for weeks after they are gone. This is a pure granita, concentrated and full of divine flavour from the combination of the slightly bitter and acidic blood oranges to the sweet after taste of star anise. A beautiful after dinner dessert or a pre-dinner palate cleanser.
- 2 cups (500ml) blood orange juice
- 1/3 cup (80ml) maple syrup
- pinch of salt
- 1 star anise pod, crushed to powder
- Mix all ingredients in a large jug.
- Pour in a shallow metal tin and cover with cling foil.
- Freeze for at least 6 hours or overnight.
- Scrape with fork to serve.