Recipe adapted from Donna Hay Fresh + Light Vol 1.
- 6 brussels sprouts, thinly sliced
- 1 medium zucchini (250g), grated
- 2 spring onions, sliced (greens only)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 180g halloumi, grated
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 (45g) cup potato starch
- 1/4 cup (45g) buckwheat flour
- handful of fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- olive oil to pan fry
- aioli and salad greens, to serve
- Place brussels sprouts, zucchini, spring onion, garlic, halloumi, egg, potato starch, buckwheat, basil and paprika in a large bowl. Mix well to form a thick batter.
- Drizzle a tablespoon or two of olive oil in a large frying pan on medium. Dollop the batter in two heaps, flattening each to about 10-12cm in diameter. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook the fritter for a couple of minutes on each side, turning carefully to ensure it is evenly browned.
- Repeat with remaining batter.
- Serve fritters on a bed of greens with some homemade aioli or mayonnaise.
Potato starch and buckwheat can be swapped for regular flour or plain gluten free flour.
Potato starch can be replaced with cornflour but the result might not be as soft and fluffy as this version.