A highly addictive snack dish inspired by Indo-Chinese flavours and the humble potato fries! This healthier version involves air-frying or roasting the potato fries and then stir-frying them with spices. Yummy!
For the potatoes
- 4 large potatoes (700-800g)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons cornflour
- 1 teaspoon sea salt flakes
- Freshly ground black pepper
For the sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic (7–8 large cloves)
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- ½ teaspoon red chilli flakes
- 1 small brown onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha or Chilli Sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato ketchup
- 1 teaspoon cornflour mixed in ¼ cup water
- ¼ cup finely chopped spring onion (green only)
- White and black sesame seeds
- Wash and peel the potatoes. Cut them into ½ inch thick batons. Place them in a large bowl along with the oil. Mix well. Add the cornflour, salt and pepper. Toss gently to coat thoroughly.
- To Cook The Potatoes – In an Airfryer, cook them at 200C for 18 minutes OR In a pre-heated oven, cook them at 200C for approximately 28-30 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- In a medium wok, heat 1 tablespoon of oil on high. Add garlic, ginger, chilli flakes and onion. Stir-fry while tossing rapidly for a minute until the onion starts turning translucent. Reduce heat to medium and continue cooking for another minute. Add potatoes and mix well. Cook for a few seconds.
- Add soy sauce, vinegar, Sriracha and tomato ketchup. Mix well until potatoes are coated. Reduce heat to low and add the cornflour mix. Mix well and cook for a minute until heated through.
- Remove from heat. Sprinkle with spring onion and sesame seeds. Serve hot.
This recipe has a lovely bite to it. If you prefer it to be less spicy, skip the red chilli flakes.