- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 brown or Spanish onions, finely chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 40ml white wine
- 700g Val Verde Passata
- 2 teaspoon sea salt flakes
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon raw sugar
- 1 tablespoon aged balsamic vinegar
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Heat oil in a saucepan on medium heat. Add bay leaf, garlic and onion. Sauté for a few minutes until onion starts to soften. Reduce heat to low and cook for approximately 10 minutes until onion is soft and caramelized.
- Increase heat to medium. Add wine to deglaze the pan. Add Val Verde Passata, salt, oregano, basil, sugar, vinegar and black pepper. Mix well.
- Reduce heat to medium low and simmer uncovered for 25-30 minutes until the sauce turns a dark, rich shade. Remove from heat. Allow to cool completely. Store in an air-tight jar in the fridge for up to a week.