A rich, luscious mayonnaise and white chocolate based white cake offset by a dark cocoa marble cake dressed with the most decadent pure dark chocolate ganache. Topped with fruit, herbs, flowers and chocolate, this is one delicious show stopping celebration cake!
For The Mayonnaise Cake [bottom layer]
- 1 cup (230g) mayonnaise
- 1 cup (220g) caster sugar
- 1 cup boiling water
- 100g white chocolate, chopped
- 50g white chocolate bits
- 2 cups (300g) self-raising flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract or powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- pinch of salt
For The Chocolate Marble Cake [top layer]
- 180g butter, at room temperature
- 2/3 cup caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 3/4 cups self raising flour
- 3/4 cup milk
- 3–4 drops of yellow food colouring or 1/8 tsp ground turmeric (natural colouring)
- 3 tablespoons dark cocoa powder
For The Dark Chocolate Ganache
- 400g dark chocolate, roughly chopped
- 300ml whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon honey or golden syrup
- 80g butter, softened
To Make The White Mayo Cake
- Pre-heat oven to 180 C. Grease and line a 25cm (10 inch) round springform cake tin with baking paper.
- In a large bowl whisk together the mayonnaise and sugar using an electric blender until light and fluffy.
- Place boiling water and chopped white chocolate in a small bowl. Mix well until smooth and chocolate is thoroughly melted.
- Add chocolate mix to the mayo mix. Whisk for a couple of seconds until blended.
- Add white chocolate bits, flour, vanilla, baking powder and salt to the wet ingredients. Whisk for a minute or two until light and blended.
- Pour in the prepared pan and bake in the pre-heated oven for 40 minutes until a skewer inserted in the middle comes clean when tested. Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the tin for 10-15 minutes. Turn onto a wire rack and cool completely.
To Make The Marble Cake
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease and line a 25cm (10in) round springform cake tin with baking paper.
- Use an electric beater to beat the butter, caster sugar and vanilla extract in a bowl for a few minutes until pale and creamy. Add eggs, beat some more.Add the flour and milk. Stir with a wooden spoon until mixed thoroughly.
- Divide the mixture into 2 bowls. Add the yellow food colouring (or ground turmeric) to one bowl and mix well. Add the cocoa powder to the mixture in the other bowl and mix well. Drop dollops of yellow and chocolate batter into the prepared pan, alternating as you please. Once all the batter is in the pan, use a fork to gently swirl the tops of the batter to blend lightly.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes in the pre-heated oven until done when tested with a skewer inserted down the middle. Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the tin for 10 minutes. Remove from tin and cool completely on a wire rack.
To Make The Dark Chocolate Ganache
- Heat cream and honey in a small heavy bottomed saucepan on low. Simmer until it just comes to a boil (bubbles around the edges). Add the chocolate and mix well, stirring until all chocolate has melted. Turn off the heat and keep stirring with a strong wooden spoon until thick, smooth and glossy.
- Add the butter and mix until completely melted. Cool completely at room temperature or chill quickly in the fridge for half an hour. Remove from fridge and beat with an electric beater for a minute to make the ganache light and fluffy. It is now ready to frost the cake.
To Assemble The Cake
- Place the Mayonnaise Cake on a large cake plate. Trim the top layer by slicing off a thin disc of the cake. Spread a generous amount of the ganache on top of the sliced cake.
- Place the Chocolate Marble Cake on top and press down gently into the ganache. Dollop the rest of the ganache on top and with swift strokes, frost the top and the sides of the cake in a swirly motion.
- Decorate the top of the cake with fresh red berries, edible flowers, herbs and white chocolate pieces (I used Lindt round and square white chocolate).
- Store in a covered cake carrier in the fridge until ready to serve or transport. The ganache holds well for a few hours if it is not too hot. If the weather is very hot (summer), the cake needs to be refrigerated at least until an hour prior to serving.