Beautiful lemon spiked muffins bursting with plump, juicy, red seasonal cherries are just perfect for that Christmas morning pick-me-up with your cup of coffee as you smile all bleary-eyed at being woken up way too early by excited squeals under the Christmas tree. This muffin is adapted from leila Lindholm’s gorgeous baking tome – A Piece Of Cake.
- 2 organic eggs
- 140g golden caster sugar (unrefined)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla powder/extract
- 100g salted butter, melted
- 200ml milk
- zest of 1 large lemon
- 240g plain flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 20 large cherries, pitted
- icing sugar, for dusting
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C. Line 10 holes of a standard size muffin tin with paper cases.
- Place eggs and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat until pale and fluffy. Stir in the vanilla, butter, milk and lemon gently with a wooden spoon.
- Add flour, baking powder and salt to the wet mix. Fold in gently with a spoon until just combined.
- Spoon batter into the paper cases until each is two thirds full. Push two cherries down the middle of each paper case.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for approximately 20 minutes until well-risen, cooked through and turning golden on top.
- Remove from the oven and transfer cupcakes to a wire rack to cool completely. Once cooled, dust with icing sugar and enjoy.