A beautiful breakfast milk made in under half an hour pairs coconut and oat for a creamy, sweet and natural treat.
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup shredded coconut (dry)
- 6 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- Soak oats and coconut in 3 cups of water each in separate jars for 15 minutes. Drain and rinse the oats. Add fresh water (3 cups) to the oat jar.
- Combine soaked oats, coconut and all the water in the jug of a blender (I used my Vitamix) and process until very smooth for a few minutes.
- Using a very fine sieve, strain the milk.
- At this point you can add salt and maple syrup to the strained milk. Stir well.
- Store in a tall glass bottle for 2-3 days in the fridge.
To avoid getting slimy milk, rinse the oats after soaking before blending them with fresh water.
You can omit the salt and sweetener if you prefer a more natural taste. Alternatively you can use Stevia or any other sweetener you prefer.
If you omit the maple syrup, you can even use it in your curries.
You can use this milk with your favourite cereal or to make puddings, smoothies and milkshakes.
This recipe makes just over a litre in quantity.