- 1 apple, thinly sliced
- 1 puff pastry sheet, cut into a 20 cm round
- raw sugar, to sprinkle
- icing sugar, to dust
for the frangipane
- 1 cup (100g) almond meal
- 1 egg
- 50g butter, room temperature
- 50g rapadura sugar (or coconut sugar)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla bean powder (or vanilla extract)
- Pre-heat oven to 200C (400F). Line a large baking sheet with baking paper.
- To prepare frangipane, mix all ingredients in a medium bowl with a spoon until it forms a thick smooth paste.
- Score a 1cm border in the pastry round. Spread the frangipane inside this border all over the pastry round. Arrange apple slices in a circle. Sprinkle with extra raw sugar. Bake in the pre-heated oven for approximately 18 minutes until golden and crisp.
- Remove from oven. Dust with icing sugar. Cut into slices and serve warm with vanilla ice cream.
I bake using a convection oven setting. If baking in a fan-forced oven, reduce oven temperature by approximately 20C (68F).
Make sure you remove the seeds of the apple after slicing it thinly.