A lush but deceptively light flour less nut cake with a great crumb and texture, this pistachio beauty is gluten free and dairy free. It is a robust cake that travels well and slices even better! Adapted slightly from Australian Women’s Weekly Indulgent Cakes
- 2 cups raw almonds
- 1 1/2 cups raw pistachios
- 1 cup raw sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon rind
- 2 eggs
- 5 egg whites
- pinch of salt
- Soak almonds in hot water for 30 minutes. Drain.
- Pre-heat oven to 160C. Grease a deep 22cm (9 inch) round springform cake pan and line with baking paper.
- Place drained almonds, pistachio, sugar, cardamom and salt in the bowl of a food processor and process until the mixture resembles coarse bread crumbs. Transfer to a large bowl. Add egg, egg white and lemon rind. Mix well either with a wooden spoon or for a minute with an electric mixer until thoroughly combined.
- Spread mixture into prepared pan. Smooth the top. Bake in the pre-heated oven for approximately 1 1/4 hours until the top is golden and the cake has started browning around the edges. Remove from the oven and cool cake in the pan.
- Serve warm with a dusting of icing sugar if you prefer.
You may add two drops of green food colouring or a sprinkling of spirulina powder to enhance the green colour of the cake.
The cake can be served with drained yoghurt sweetened with maple/honey.
Saffron poached fruit makes a good accompaniment to the cake.