- 150g butter, softened
- ¾ cup (115g) rapadura or coconut sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 ½ cups (200g) spelt flour
- ¼ cup (60ml) milk of choice
- 100g almond meal
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated ginger (optional, for extra kick)
- 125 crystallized or glace ginger, chopped
- Handful of flaked almonds
- Preheat oven to 190C convection (180C fan-forced). Grease and line an 18cm X 28cm slice tin with baking paper.
- Add butter and sugar to the bowl of an electric beater. Beat for a minute until light and fluffy. Add the egg and beat for another minute.
- Add the flour and milk. Beat for 30 seconds until just combined.
- Add almond meal, ground ginger, fresh grated ginger and crystallized ginger. Mix gently with a wooden/silicone spoon until the dry bits are completely incorporated in the batter.
- Spoon into the prepared tin. Spread the batter to fill the tin and smooth the top. Scatter with flaked almonds. Bake in the preheated oven for approximately 30-35 minutes until the top is golden.
- Remove and cool completely in the tin. Slice and store in an air-tight container in a cool spot of your kitchen for up to 5 days.