- 375g (1 ½ cups) unsweetened full-fat Greek yoghurt
- 60ml (¼ cup) chilled water
- 1 small red onion, finely diced
- 1 small tomato, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 small cucumber, deseeded and finely diced
- ½ cup fresh coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon sea salt flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon raw sugar
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- Place yoghurt, water, onion, tomato, cucumber and coriander in a large bowl. Add salt, pepper and sugar. Mix well. Chill in the fridge for at least 1-2 hours before serving. Will keep in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- Toast cumin seeds in a hot, dry pan on medium heat for a few seconds until they start to turn a shade darker and crackle. Remove from heat. Add to the raita just before serving.
Use the thickest full-fat yoghurt you can find. Make sure your yoghurt is unsweetened. Buffalo yoghurt, sheep’s yoghurt or goat’s yoghurt works really well too because they all have a beautiful tang.
Make it vegan by subbing regular yoghurt with unsweetened coconut yoghurt.
Elevate flavour by sprinkling a pinch of ground cumin and ground chilli to your finished raita before serving.