- 2 large grapefruit, flesh scooped out, skin and pith removed
- 150ml water
- 150g caster sugar
- 4 star anise pods
- juice of half a lime
- tequila to serve (optional)
- Heat water, caster sugar and anise pods on medium. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat and cool completely. Discard three anise pods and reserve one.
- Combine sugar syrup, grapefruit, anise pod and lime juice in the jug of a blender. Process on high until mixture is well blended and anise pod is completely crushed.
- Place granita mix in a shallow tin pan. Cover with cling wrap and freeze for 4 hours. Remove from freezer, scrape frozen mixture with a fork. Cover and return to freezer for another 4 hours or overnight.
- When ready to serve, scrape granita mix with a fork and spoon into cocktail glasses. Serve. You may also serve with a dash of tequila over the granite for a grown up after dinner treat.