- 1 large pineapple
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- generous pinch of salt
- freshly chopped mint leaves and grated lime zest, to serve
- Slice the top and bottom off a large pineapple. Stand the pineapple on one of the sliced surfaces. Using a sharp knife, carefully trim the peel off the pineapple to create eight edges. Make sure you get the thorny bits. Using the eight edges as a guide, slice the pineapple vertically in eight long chunky pieces (kind of like slicing a pizza). Trim the hard core bits off the pieces if required.
- Skewer the pieces lengthwise with bamboo skewers to get eight pineapple lollipops. Place the pieces in a large bowl.
- Mix maple syrup, cinnamon and salt in a small bowl.
- Drizzle the syrup mix over the pineapple pieces. Rub the syrup over the pieces to coat thoroughly.
- Heat a chargrill pan or grill plate on the barbecue or cooktop on high. Place a couple pineapple pieces on the hot grill and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side until golden and grill marks appear. Repeat with the remaining pieces. You can cook 3-4 pieces together if your pan/plate is large enough.
- Garnish with freshly grated lime zest and mint leaves.
- Serve hot with coconut yoghurt or ice cream on the side.