- 1 brown onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 small carrot, peeled, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 2 jalapeno peppers, sliced
- 10 garlic cloves, chopped
- ¼ cup grated fresh ginger root
- ¼ cup (30g) dried horseradish root
- 1 tablespoon fresh grated turmeric
- 1 orange, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped rosemary
- 1 teaspoon brown mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon peppercorns
- 4 star anise
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- pinch of salt
- Organic apple cider vinegar (approximately 250-300ml)
- ¼ cup organic honey or maple syrup
Thoroughly wash and dry a lidded 1-litre wide-mouth glass jar.
Start layering ingredients starting with onion, carrot, jalapeno and garlic. Add ginger, horseradish and turmeric. Using a cocktail muddler tamp down the ingredients in the jar.
Add orange, rosemary, mustard seeds, peppercorns, salt and star anise. Finally add the lemon zest and juice. Slowly pour the organic apple cider into the jar, till it fills every crevice. Use the cocktail muddler to tamp down and compress the ingredients and top up remaining space with the apple cider.
Close tightly with the lid and leave in a cool, dark corner of your kitchen for a minimum of 2 weeks and as much as up to 4 weeks. Remember to shake the glass gently everyday, turning it around and over slowly so that the apple cider moves and travels in between all the ingredients.
After 2 weeks (or 4 weeks), open the lid and strain the fire cider into a clean and dry jug. Add honey or maple syrup and mix well. Check the taste. Add more sweetener if desired. Bottle in a clean, dry lidded glass jar or bottle and use over the next few weeks. Store in a cool, dark corner of your pantry.