- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 leek , trimmed and sliced (white part only)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup (225g) uncooked freekeh (cracked)
- 1.5 liters vegetable stock
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 100g Cavolo Nero (Tuscan Kale), finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh turmeric, to serve
- Heat oil in a heavy bottomed saucepan or Dutch oven on medium. Add leek, garlic and bay leaf. Sauté for a couple of minutes until leek wilts and starts to turn golden.
- Add the freekeh and toast for a minute, stirring constantly.
- Add the vegetable stock. Season with salt and pepper. Cover the pan and simmer for 20 minutes until freekeh is tender.
- Reduce heat to low. Add chopped kale and simmer gently for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and serve hot topped with grated turmeric.