adpated from Love Bake Nourish by Amber Rose
- 180g unsalted butter, softened
- 180ml maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon light soy sauce
- 3 large organic eggs
- finely grated zest of 1 small lemon
- 160g spelt flour
- 20g cornflour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons soy milk
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C / 160°C (fan-forced). Grease and line a 20cm base diameter cake pan with baking paper.
- Add butter, maple syrup, vanilla and soy sauce to the bowl of an electric stand mixer. Whisk for a couple of minutes until pale and creamy. Add eggs one at a time and continue beating until you get a fluffy and creamy mixture.
- Add lemon zest, spelt flour, cornflour, baking powder and milk. Beat for a brief few seconds until just combined. Alternatively, fold these ingredients gently into the egg mixture using a wooden or silicone spoon until just combined.
- Spoon cake batter into the prepared tin. Bake in the preheated oven for 40 minutes until golden and cooked through the middle.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the tin for a bit. Remove carefully onto a cake plate when cool. Dust with icing sugar and serve.
If you don’t want to use soy sauce, substitute with a pinch of salt instead.
In her book, Amber tops the cake with a simple icing made by whipping cream and honey together. I have tried this and it is quite lovely too.
This isn’t a very sweet cake to begin with. If you like your cakes sweeter, just dust with more icing sugar when serving or serve with a dollop of ice cream or sweetened whipped cream with berries.