- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fennel seeds
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 leek, finely chopped (white only)
- 1 small eggplant(150g), cubed
- 1 cup packed kale, chopped
- 1 cup (250g) roasted chickpeas
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon sea salt flakes
- sesame seeds
- Add oil to a large frying pan on high. Add fennel seeds, cumin seeds and leek. Sauté for a few seconds and reduce heat to medium. Continue sautéing for a minute or two until leek starts to caramelise.
- Add eggplant. Sauté for 3-4 minutes on medium heat until glazed and a shade darker.
- Add 1/4 cup water, cover with a lid, reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove the lid, increase heat to high and cook for a few seconds until the veggies start to sizzle. Add roasted chickpeas, chopped kale, ground cumin and salt. Mix well. Cook for a minute until kale starts to wilt and chickpeas are heated through.
- Remove from heat and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Serve hot with a tahini sauce and pickled beetroot along with quinoa or couscous.
You don’t have to use roasted chickpeas for this recipe, regular canned chickpeas are fine too. But the crispy roasted chickpeas add a lovely texture to the salad and make it nice and dry.
Do not be tempted to add salt in the beginning while cooking the eggplant. This will enable eggplant to release liquid which will result in a soggy mess.