For The Filling
- 450g apples, peeled, cored and cut into 1cm pieces
- 1 tablespoon plain flour (or spelt flour)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 50g brown sugar (or rapadura sugar)
For The Crumble
- a pinch of salt
- a pinch of ground nutmeg
- 150g plain flour (or spelt flour)
- 110g unsalted butter, softened
- 80g brown sugar (or rapadura sugar)
- Preheat oven to 180C. Butter a 9 inch ovenproof dish.
- To Make The Filling – Place fruit in a large bowl. Sprinkle with sugar, flour and cinnamon. Mix well with a spoon and set aside while you make the crumble.
- To Make The Crumble – Place flour, salt, nutmeg and sugar in a large bowl and mix well. Take a little butter at a time and rub into the flour and sugar mixture. Keep rubbing until all the butter is used up and the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Spoon fruit mixture into the bottom of the dish. Sprinkle crumble on top. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes until top is golden.
- Serve warm with clotted cream or vanilla ice cream.
To make a gluten-free version, substitute plain flour in the recipe with almond meal or hazelnut flour.