adapted from Donna Hay Issue 91.
for the pastry
- 1 1/2 cups (235g) spelt flour
- 1/4 cup (60g) raw sugar
- 110g chilled butter, cubed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- pinch of salt
- 1/4cup (60ml) iced water
for the filling
- 1/4 cup (60g) rapadura sugar
- 70g black grapes
- 450g peaches, cored and quartered
- 4 thyme sprigs, leaves picked
- 1/3 cup (50g) almond meal
- melted butter or whisked egg, for dotting
- raw sugar, to sprinkle
To Make The Pastry
- Magimix Cook Expert Method – Place all ingredients for pastry in the metal bowl of the Magimix Cook Expert. Secure the lid. Run the PASTRY/CAKE program.
- Regular Method – Place all ingredients in a large bowl. Rub the cubed butter into the flour mixture with the tips of your fingers till the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Bring the mixture together into a rough ball of dough and knead for a few minutes until the dough comes together in a smooth ball.
To Make The Galette
- Place ball of dough on a large sheet of baking paper. Cover with another similar sized sheet of baking paper. Using a rolling pin, roll out the dough gently between the two sheets of paper to a rough 24cm wide circle. Make sure the thickness of the pastry is about half a centimetre.
- Lift and place baking sheets with pastry on a large metal baking sheet. Chill in the fridge for 30 minutes. Pre-heat oven to 200C (convention)/180C(fan-forced).
- Place rapadura sugar, peach, grape and thyme in a medium bowl. Toss gently to combine.
- Remove tray of pastry from the fridge. Peel back the top baking paper. Spread almond meal on the base of the pastry leaving a 5cm border. Put fruit on top of the almond layer, leaving a 3-4 cm border. Fold over and press the edges over the filling.
- Brush/dot edges with butter or egg wash. Sprinkle raw sugar over the whole galette.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for 20 minutes. Reduce heat to 180C (convention)/160C(fan-forced) and bake for another 35 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and cool on a wire-rack. Slice into wedges and serve with a dollop of fresh cream or ice cream.