A luscious, creamy and smooth vegan frosting made with cacao powder and soaked cashew nuts. This raw frosting is fudgy, spreadable and utterly delicious. A true guilt-free treat!
- ½ cup (80g) cashew nuts
- 6 pitted dates
- ½ cup coconut cream
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons cacao powder
- grated zest of half a small orange
- a few seas salt flakes, to top (optional)
- Place cashew nuts and dates in a small bowl. Cover with boiling water and soak for 15 minutes. Drain the water.
- Place cashew nuts and dates in the jug of a blender. Add coconut cream, vanilla extract, orange zest and cacao powder. Process until smooth, fudgy and creamy.
- Scoop into a 250ml glass jar and allow to firm up some more in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes. Use as required to frost vegan cakes, top pancakes, dip fruit in or just scoop with a spoon as a treat.
If you are in fact using this recipe for frosting a cake, make sure your cake is chilled and so is your frosting. After frosting the cake, place in the fridge until ready to use. This frosting stays soft and supple, like a ganache.