- 1X400g can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt flakes
- Pre-heat oven to 180C convection/160C fan-forced.
- Place rinsed chickpeas on a tea-towel and pat them dry. The drier they are, the crispier they will be once roasted. (At this point of time, many recipes call for peeling the skin. You can absolutely do this as it makes the chickpeas crunchier as opposed to just crispy. But I don’t as I like a bit of that soft centre when I want to use it in a stir fry or salad).
- Place in a small bowl with salt and olive oil. Mix well to coat evenly.
- Spread on the baking tray.
- Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes for crispy chickpeas (to be used in stir-fries, salads) or 30-35 minutes for crunchier chickpeas (to be tossed with spices for a snack).
You can easily double the quantity by just doubling every single ingredient.
For flavoured chickpeas, always add the spice mix after roasting them while they are still warm. Here are some delicious spice combinations for the original recipe above.
Mexican Chickpea Spice Mix – 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika, 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin, 1/2 tsp dried garlic flakes.
Mediterranean Chickpea Spice Mix – 1 teaspoon freshly chopped rosemary leaves, 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest, 1/2 teaspoon dried garlic flakes.
Indian Chickpea Spice Mix – 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin, 1/2 teaspoon garam masala, 1/2 teaspoon red chilli flakes, 1/2 teaspoon dried garlic flakes.