A great textural salad with a lot of oomph from the hearty charred broccoli, this salad also delivers a plate of detoxing and healing goodness from a punchy dressing made with turmeric. Red cabbage and coconut make it sing with colour.
- 350g broccoli florets and thickly sliced stem
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- sea salt flakes, a large pinch
- fresh ground black pepper, a light sprinkle
- 150g shredded red cabbage
- 80g shredded coconut
- 60g baby spinach leaves
- 30g alfalfa sprouts
for the dressing
- 4 medjool dates
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 garlic cloves
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons wholegrain or dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon sea salt flakes
- 1 teaspoon runny honey
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- Pre-heat oven to 200C (convection)/180C (fan-forced). Place broccoli, olive oil, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Using your hands, toss gently to coat evenly. Spread broccoli on a baking tray and roast in the oven for approximately 15-17 minutes until starting to char but still crunchy.
- Remove from oven and cool to room temperature.
- Meanwhile, prepare the dressing by soaking the dates in hot water for 10 minutes. Drain. Place dates, water, garlic, vinegar, mustard, salt, honey and turmeric in the bowl of a small food processor and blend until smooth. Pour into a little glass jar.
- Place broccoli, cabbage, coconut, spinach and alfalfa in a large bowl. Drizzle with half of the dressing. Toss gently to mix. Serve in two salad plates with some of the remaining dressing drizzled on top.
- Place cooled broccoli in a large bowl