for the applesauce
- 2 medium apples (250g), peeled and cored
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- pinch of salt
for the oats
- 1 cup (180g) steel cut oats
- 250ml applesauce
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- 4 cups (1 litre) whole milk (or milk of choice)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- fresh apple slices, to serve
- pecan nuts, to serve
- fresh cream, to serve
- maple syrup or honey, to serve
- Place all the ingredients for the applesauce in the jug of a blender and process until smooth. The above recipe yields 250ml applesauce.
- Place oats, applesauce, butter, milk and cinnamon in a deep 1.2 litre ceramic bowl that fits inside the pot of your slow cooker. Place this ceramic bowl inside the pot of your slow cooker and fill the slow cooker with water until it comes about halfway up the ceramic bowl containing oats.
- Place the lid of the slow cooker on and cook the oats on low for 8 hours.
- To serve, scoop porridge in a bowl. Arrange apple slices around the porridge, top with a generous dollop of fresh cream, drizzle with maple syrup or honey and sprinkle pecan nuts.
If you don’t have steel cut oats, use rolled oats and reduce cook time to 5-6 hours on low.
Do not use instant oats for a slow cooking recipe.
To eat, simply reheat or warm in microwave and serve with toppings.