Golden brown, perfect little vegan snacking falafels are made with a cauliflower base and wholesome spelt flour. Served with a super fast beetroot dip and salad greens, this delicious recipe is great for brunch or packing away in your lunchbox for work. Disappears faster than you think.
for the falafel
- 300g cauliflower florets
- 400g can butter beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup (35g) flat leaf parsley
- 1/2 cup (60g) almond meal
- 80g wholemeal spelt flour
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon chilli flakes
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
for the beetroot dip
- 1 can (450g) whole baby beetroot, rinsed and drained
- 1 garlic clove
- 50g toasted pinenuts
- sea salt flakes and black pepper to taste
salad leaves to serve
- Place cauliflower, butter beans, parsley, almond meal, spelt flour, garlic, chilli, cumin, salt and baking powder in the jug of a food processor and process until coarsely chopped and mixed.
- Shape the mix into 20 golf ball sized balls.
- Heat sunflower or vegetable oil in a small saucepan on high (oil height in pan at least 5-6 cm).
- Carefully drop 3-4 falafel balls in the oil and fry for a minute or two until cooked and golden. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Repeat for remaining balls.
- To make the beetroot dip, place all ingredients in a small food processor and blitz for a few seconds until smooth.
- Serve falafels on a bed of greens with beetroot dip and/or tabbouli.
For detailed frying instructions, visit super green falafel recipe.
For a healthier version, preheat oven to 200C. Line a baking tray with baking paper. Place rolled uncooked falafel balls on baking tray. Spray with cooking oil and bake in the oven for 30-45 minutes turning the balls once to ensure even baking. Falafels are done when they are dark and golden all over.
Cooked falafels will freeze well in a freeze safe container for up to a month.
- Serving Size: Per Serve
- Calories: 190.1
- Sugar: 1.8g
- Sodium: 463.6mg
- Fat: 8.1g
- Saturated Fat: 1.1g
- Carbohydrates: 22.9g
- Fiber: 6.1g
- Protein: 8.2g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg