- 1 tablespoon olive oil or ghee
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 700g chicken thigh, boneless skinless and cut into 2.5cm pieces
- 1 ½ teaspoons sea salt flakes
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- ¼ teaspoon ground chilli
- ¼ teaspoon ground cardamom
- 200g baby spinach leaves
- Lemon wedges, to serve
- Heat oil in a large sauté pan or skillet on medium-high. Add garlic, bay leaf and cumin seeds. Sauté for a few seconds until garlic starts caramelizing.
- Add chicken and salt. Mix well and increase heat to high.
- Add turmeric, cumin, garam masala, chilli and cardamom. Cook, tossing constantly for 1-2 minutes until chicken is seared, starting to brown and is coated with all the spices.
- Reduce heat to medium and continue cooking the chicken for 8-10 minutes until it is completely cooked.
- Add spinach and mix well, cooking for a minute until spinach is wilted.
- Remove from heat. Serve hot with lemon wedges and rotis.
Make sure you are cooking this in a big wide cast-iron pan or sauté pan. You need the surface area for all the spinach which will soften and condense after cooking.
Want to amp up the iron in the dish? Double the amount of spinach.