- 1 whole organic free range chicken
- 2 onions, quartered
- 2 celery stalks with leaves, chopped
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 2 spring onions, chopped
- 8 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 inch piece ginger, sliced
- 1 inch piece fresh turmeric, sliced
- 14 peppercorns
- 8 cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 stalks parsley
- 6.5 litres water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt (or to taste)
- freshly ground black pepper
- Place all ingredients in an 8 litre heavy bottomed stockpot.
- Simmer on medium for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to low, cover with lid and simmer for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool a bit. Strain into freezer safe lidded jugs/boxes and freeze for up to 2 months. Alternatively, store in the fridge and use within 3 days.
Simmer for longer if you want a richer more concentrated broth.
Poached chicken can be shredded and used in salads or pastas. It also makes a great addition to clear broths/soups.
Don’t be afraid to season this generously. If the salt is not enough, drinking it straight up is not very pleasant.