- 3 ripe tomatoes, each cut into 8 wedges
- Sea salt flakes and crushed black pepper
- 1 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- Pinch of white pepper
- 4 cups (1 litre) vegetable stock
- 2 eggs, whisked
- 3 tablespoons cornflour mixed in 2 tablespoons water
- ¼ cup sliced spring onions (green only)
- Place tomato wedges in a shallow bowl. Sprinkle with sea salt flakes and black pepper. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a 2-litre heavy-bottomed saucepan on medium-high heat. Add garlic, ginger and tomatoes. Sauté for 3-4 minutes until tomatoes are starting to soften.
- Mix well.
- Add the stock. Bring to a rapid boil.
- Reduce heat to medium. Using a wooden spoon stir the middle to create a vortex. Pour the egg in a thin stream down the center of this vortex, moving outward in a circular fashion. After you finish pouring, wait a few seconds for the egg to set and gently stir and mix thoroughly.
- Add the cornflour, tamari, vinegar and white pepper. Adjust seasoning if needed. Simmer for another minute or two until the soup thickens. Add spring onion and serve hot.