Lay bread slices in a tray, pour over egg mixture and bake. A yummy tray of baked French Toast is perfect to start your weekends with the family and it is so easy and quick, even the kids would love to help. Top with heaps of fresh berries, whipped cream and a tangy citrus curd made with yuzu fruit for a nourishing breakfast.
- melted butter to grease
- 6 bread slices (I used rye bread)
- 1 cup (250ml) milk
- 8 eggs
- 1/2 cup (125ml) cream
- 2 tablespoons rapadura sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt flakes
- 1 teaspoon vanilla powder or extract
- icing sugar, to dust
- yuzu curd, to serve
- berries, to serve
- whipped cream, to serve
for the yuzu curd
- 2 eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- 160g caster sugar
- 80g cold butter
- 80ml yuzu juice
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Grease a 20X30cm base measurement rectangular baking tray with butter.
- Arrange the bread in the baking tray.
- Combine milk, eggs, cream, sugar, salt and vanilla in a bowl. Whisk until pale and fluffy.
- Pour over the bread, making sure it is all covered with the egg mixture. Press down the edges and corners to make sure they are submerged. Stand for 10 minutes.
- Place the baking dish in the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes until golden and puffed. Remove from oven and cool slightly.
- Cut away portions and serve with berries, yuzu curd, cream and dusted with icing sugar.
to make yuzu curd
- Whisk eggs, egg yolks and sugar together in a large bowl until pale and fluffy. Pour into a heavy bottomed saucepan on low heat.
- Add yuzu juice and butter. Simmer gently, stirring constantly until the mixture starts to thicken and coats the back of the stirring spoon (like custard).
- Remove from heat and strain into a glass jar. Cover with cling foil until completely cooled. Secure a tight lid on the jar and store in the fridge for up to ten days.