for the soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 leek, sliced (white only)
- 1 large potato, peeled cubed and boiled
- 1 head of broccoli (350g), chopped
- 800ml vegetable stock
- salt and pepper, to taste
- chopped chives, to serve
- toasted chopped cashew nuts, to serve
- cashew cream, to serve
for the cashew cream
- 1 cup (150g) raw cashew nuts
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup (125ml) water
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt flakes
- freshly ground black pepper
to make the cashew cream
- Cover cashew nuts with boiling water in a small bowl. Set aside for 20 minutes. Drain.
- Add cashew nuts and all the other ingredients for the cashew cream to the jug of a blender or small processor. Process until smooth.
- Store in the fridge for up to 2 days. Use as required.
to make the broccoli soup
- Heat oil in a heavy bottomed dutch oven or deep saucepan. Add garlic, bay leaves and leek. Sauté for a few minutes on medium until leek starts to soften.
- Add the stock, season with salt and pepper, add potato and broccoli. Cook uncovered for 5 minutes until broccoli appears tender and still vibrant green. Do not over cook.
- Remove from heat. Discard the bay leaves.
- Use a stick blender, purée the soup until quite smooth.
- Serve hot in a bowls with a dollop of cashew cream. Garnish with chives and toasted nuts. Enjoy with crusty bread.