A delicious new take on the classic Penne All Vodka recipe, this creamy Vegan Cauliflower Vodka Pasta is a tasty and easy weeknight dinner option for the whole family.
- 300g rigatoni pasta (dry)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon red chilli flakes
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 300g cauliflower, thinly sliced or grated
- 1 teaspoon sea salt flakes
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 150g preserved artichokes, drained and chopped
- 80ml (1/3 cup) vodka
- 4 tablespoon tomato paste or puree
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ¾ cup soy milk or cream
- ¼ cup reserved pasta water
- 1 tablespoon miso paste
- Fresh basil leaves, to serve
- Bring a large pot of water (4-5 litres) to boil. Add a large pinch of salt to the water along with the dry pasta. Cook in the rapidly boiling water for 8-10 minutes. Reduce heat to low and simmer for a further 2 minutes until pasta is cooked but still firm (al dente). Drain all but some of the pasta water and set it aside.
- Heat oil in a large skillet on medium-high. Add the onion, chilli and garlic. Sauté for a minute or two until the onion starts to caramelize.
- Add the cauliflower, salt and pepper. Increase heat to high and sauté tossing constantly for 6-8 minutes until cauliflower is starting to caramelize. Add artichoke and mix well. Add the vodka to deglaze the pan and loosen all the caramelized, charred bits. Cook for another 2 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add tomato paste, thyme and oregano. Mix well and cook for 5-6 minutes until the sauce is heated through and cauliflower is cooked.
- Drain the pasta completely (but save ¼ cup of pasta water) and add to the skillet with the cauliflower sauce. Add the soy milk (or cream) and reserved pasta water. Mix well and slow simmer for 2 minutes until heated through. Stir through the miso paste.
- Garnish with basil leaves and serve hot.