A great recipe for using up your sourdough discard, these Vegan Sourdough Pizza Crackers taste just like pizza. Just mix, roll, bake and cut. Perfect for movie nights!
- 1 cup (250g) Sourdough Starter Discard
- 1 cup (135g) plain flour
- 1/4 cup (60ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red chilli flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh chives
- extra sea salt flakes, for sprinkling
- salsa, to serve
- Pre-heat oven to 170C (convection)/150C (fan-forced).
- Get a large rimmed baking tray.
- Place starter discard, flour, oil, salt, garlic powder, cilli flakes, thyme, oregano, basil and chives in a bowl. Mix and then knead into a pliable but stiff dough.
- Cover and rest for 30 minutes.
- Flatten dough and place between two large sheets of baking paper. Using a rolling pin, roll the dough out to about 0.3 or 0./4 cm thickness. remove the top baking paper. Using a fluted cutter or knife, cut the dough into desired shapes (squares, rectangles or triangles). Separate the strips and pieces slightly, so they don’t stick together after baking. (if you are using a cracker roller, you don’t need to separate) Prick each piece with a fork. Lift the baking paper and place the crackers with the baking paper on to the tray.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for approximately 20-25 minutes. The edges might get darker (that is okay), the larger baking tray helps keep the crackers in the middle and away from extreme heat.
- Remove from oven. Lift baking paper and crackers onto a wire rack and cool completely. Sprinkle with extra sea salt flakes and serve with salsa.
IF YOU DON’T HAVE STARTER DISCARD – Replace starter discard in this recipe with 40g plain or rye flour AND 1-2 tablespoons lemon juice. If dough is too stiff to roll, loosen with a bit of cold water until pliable but still stiff.