A super refreshing quencher for hot days, this watermelon agua fresca is mouth-puckeringly delicious and absolutely gorgeous to look at. With its stunning red tones garnished with greens, it brightens up any party, picnic or beach barbecue you throw at it.
- 800g watermelon (cut)
- 500ml cold water
- juice of 5 limes
- 1 cup packed fresh mint leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt flakes
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 3 star anise pods
- 1 cup ice
- 1/2 cup tequila (optional)
- Place watermelon, water, lime juice, half of the mint leaves, salt, maple syrup and one anise pod in the jug of a blender with half of the ice. Process until smooth and blended (you might have to process in batches as this is a large quantity. I like to divide all my ingredients equally in two bowls and process each bowl separately.)
- Strain the juice into a jug using a nut milk bag or a fine sieve.
- Add the remaining star anise pods, mint leaves, ice and tequila (if using) to the juice and stir to mix well. Serve right away or chill in the fridge until ready to serve.