An easy, delicious summer salad bursting with fresh flavours and hitting all the flavour notes with sweet, salty, spicy and sour! Watermelon, feta, olives, chilli, orange and house-pickled shallots create a crowd-pleasing salad that will wow everyone!
for the salad
- 4 cups (650g) cubed watermelon
- 1/2 cup, cubed or crumbled feta cheese
- 1/3 rd cup, sliced black olives
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed chilli flakes
- 2 cups packed, rocket leaves
- handful of mint leaves
- 12 sprigs, lemon thyme (leaves picked)
- 1 orange, peeled and sliced into rounds
for the salad dressing
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- sea salt flakes and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
for the pickled shallots
- 2 French shallots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt flakes
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 4 springs lemon thyme/thyme
- crushed black pepper
- 1/3rd cup rice wine vinegar
Add all ingredients for pickled shallots in a medium bowl. Ensure that shallots are completely submerged in the vinegar. Cover and rest for 15-30 minutes. When ready to use, drain the vinegar or simply scoop out the shallot slices.
Prepare the dressing by mixing all ingredients for the dressing in a little lidded jar and shaking well.
In a large bowl add watermelon, feta, olives, chilli, lemon thyme, mint, orange, rocket and pickled shallot. Drizzle the dressing over the salad. Toss and mix gently until dressing is evenly distributed. Scoop into a large serving platter or salad bowl. Enjoy.
Make sure that your watermelon cubes are about 3cm and evenly cut for a beautiful looking salad with easy eatability factor.