For The Cake
- 2 cups wholemeal flour
- 2 tbsp baking powder
- 4 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 cups demerara sugar
- 1 cup light evaporated milk
- 250 butter, softened
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp coffee liqueur essence [optional]
For The Ganache
- 300ml light pouring cream
- 300g dark couverture chocolate
- Preheat oven to 180C. Grease and line an 8 inch round springform pan with baking paper.
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Blend with an electric blender for 5-8 minutes until creamy and fluffy. Pour mixture into prepared pan and bake for approximately 45 minutes until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan.
- While the cake is baking, heat pouring cream in a heavy-bottomed saucepan till it starts bubbling on low heat. Add the chocolate and stir continuously for about 5 minutes till the ganache is glossy and smooth. Cool in the saucepan. Pour over cooled cake. Cover frosted cake pan with aluminum foil and chill for an hour before serving. This helps the ganache to set.
If you don’t have access to coffee liqueur or essence, use 1 teaspoon instant coffee mixed in 1 teaspoon water.
Substituting wholemeal flour – For plain flour, just substitute directly for the wholemeal flour. If using self-raising flour, reduce baking powder to 1 teaspoon.