A beautiful healthy autumn bread baked with grated zucchini, pecan nuts, coconut flour, coconut butter and rice malt syrup for a power packed lunchbox treat.
2 large zucchinis, finely grated
1 cup (250ml) rice malt syrup
1 cup (250ml) olive oil
3 tablespoons coconut butter/oil
3 large eggs
2 cups (300g) plain flour
1 cup (90g) coconut flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1 cup toasted pecan nuts, crushed
1 tablespoon raw sugar (for topping)
shredded coconut (for topping)
- Pre-heat oven to 180C.
- Grease and line two loaf tins with baking paper. Squeeze grated zucchini and drain as much liquid as you can before adding to the baking mix.
- Mix zucchini, syrup, oil, eggs and coconut butter in a large bowl.
- In another bowl sift the flour, salt, cinnamon, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda. Add the coconut flour.
- Add flour mixture to the zucchini mixture. Add pecans and mix well using a wooden spoon. Scoop mixture evenly into the prepared loaf tins. Smooth the tops and sprinkle the raw sugar over the batter.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes until cooked through when tested with a skewer inserted down the middle of the bread. Remove from oven. Cool in tins for about 10 minutes before turning out onto wire racks to cool further.
- Eat warm with butter.
It keeps well for a week if the weather is really cool (perfect for autumn!) otherwise butter it and freeze it in ziplock bags to carry in your lunchbox for a nutrient-packed treat.
Olive oil can be directly substituted with a nut oil or rice bran oil.
Plain flour can be substituted with gluten-free flour or wholemeal flour.
Adding dried cranberries or raisins can increase sweetness and flavour.