This Gingerbread Tiramisu is a no-bake, eggless, fuss-free Christmas dessert of your dreams. I must have made this close to 70-80 times now (not joking!) and it is a hit. EVERY SINGLE TIME! The secret ingredient is – crushed gingernut biscuits sprinkled between each layer as you put together this Tiramisu. It smells like Christmas and tastes like Christmas!
If there is one dessert you will make for Christmas, let it be this one. A Gingerbread Tiramisu that can be dressed up as a spectacular slab cake or in a small army of individual glass dessert cups as a rustic after-dinner treat that you won’t be able to resist. This is my favourite dessert, the one that shall pass my lips on my last day if there is time for it. It is so popular in our home that I make it once every couple of months.
Come Christmas, it becomes extra special because of the generous smattering of spicy gingerbread flavours. It requires no baking, just mixing and chilling. And it is one of the most special recipes from my cookbook Tasty Express (which is now available on Book Depository with Worldwide Free Shipping + If you still want to gift this for Christmas, links to buy the Ebook versions for Kindle and iTunes are here). My cookbook with 85 plant based, easy recipes like this one and extras would make a lovely stocking filler so grab it now for all your besties (signed and gift wrapped).
Hope you enjoy this little offering for Christmas. From our home to yours, wish you all a Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays! xx
Update – The new January 2015 issue of Inside Out magazine has a generous spread of our kitchen renovation story with heaps of before and after pictures and a lovely interview with yours truly. Grab a copy to read all about it. Dutch ELLE also did a spread and book extract, so friends in Netherlands make sure you grab a copy to get some delicious recipe offerings from my book.
If you make this Gingerbread Tiramisu and love it (how can you not!!!), please leave me your feedback in the comment/ratings below. I love hearing from you. And don’t forget to show off your Tiramisu creations by tagging me on Instagram #cookrepublic. I love seeing all that you cook and bake from the blog! xx
A show stopping and incredibly easy dessert of a traditional Italian Tiramisu gets a Christmas makeover with the addition of gingerbread layers. Totally addictive!
- 500g mascarpone
300ml pouring cream
1 cup (250ml) strong espresso coffee (see note)
1 cup (250ml) marsala or any strong, sweet liqueur
500g sponge fingers (Italian savoiardi biscuits)
200g gingernut (or gingerbread) biscuits, crushed
good quality cocoa powder, for dusting
- In a large bowl, beat the mascarpone and pouring cream with electric beaters for 2-4 minutes, until fluffy and light.
- Line the base of a rectangular serving dish (20 x 28cm x 6cm deep) with baking paper, letting it hang over the two long sides (This will make it easier to remove and handle the finished dessert from the dish for serving).
- Combine the coffee and marsala in a large shallow dish. Working one at a time, dip sponge fingers briefly into the coffee mixture and lay them over the entire base of the serving dish.
- Spread one third of the cream mixture on top in a smooth layer, and sprinkle with half the crushed gingernut biscuits.
- Dip the remaining sponge fingers in the coffee mixture and make another layer on top of the cream mixture. Top with half the remaining cream mixture, and sprinkle with remaining gingernut biscuits. Dip the remaining sponge fingers in the coffee mixture and lay the final layer over the crushed biscuits. Top with the remaining cream mixture. Smooth the surface, and dust generously with cocoa powder.
- Cover with cling wrap and chill in the fridge for at least 2 hours before serving. Use the overhanging paper to lift dessert out of the dish and cut into portions to serve.
Mix 3-4 teaspoons instant coffee in 1 cup (250ml) hot water.
You can layer this dessert in individual dessert cups or mason jars and top with fresh cherries.