Since posting a recipe for passionfruit butter yesterday, I realised a lot of people wanted to know why I called it butter and not curd. There are two reasons. The lemon curd and passionfruit curd concept is very new to me. I never grew up with it and did not experience it until a few years ago, well into my foodie shenanigans here in Australia. Curd in India was always a reference for yoghurt. My mind associates curd with yoghurt. Calling this beautiful tangy-sweet concoction "curd" just seemed wrong. So that was reason number one. Now picture this. Two little boys trying hard to evolve their tastes. They love butter and they love passionfruit. So Passionfruit Butter is exciting and tempting. Imagine their suspicious faces when I present it to them and call it Passionfruit Curd. Reason Number two.
But I promise I will try to call it curd. Passionfruit Curd. So with a big supply of passionfruit curd on hand, one of the easiest and quickest ways to use a lot of it up was to bake a cake. I used my favourite butter cake recipe and adapted it to get a delightful tea-time treat. Look at that beautiful canary yellow colour. Doesn't it make you happy?
Hungry For More Recipes? Subscribe to my newsletter. Check out Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest to see everything I share! And if you love cooking and new cookbooks, join my free Cooking Club on Facebook!
Passionfruit Curd Cake
- 1 1/2 cups plain flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup raw sugar
- 125 g butter, melted
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons milk
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 cup passionfruit curd
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease and line an 8 inch round cake tin with baking paper.
- Combine flour, baking powder, salt and sugar in a large bowl. Mix to combine. Add eggs, milk, lemon zest and melted butter. Beat with an electric mixer for a couple of minutes until smooth and creamy. The cake batter at this stage will be quick dense and thick.
- Spoon into prepared cake tin. Top with passionfruit curd and gently using a spoon, swirl and mix the curd in the batter until just mixed.
- Bake in pre heated oven for approximately 50 minutes until golden and risen.
- Allow to cool and serve warm with a dusting of icing sugar or extra lashings of the passionfruit curd.