These Japanese Miso Roasted Root Vegetables are absolutely delicious. Inspired by my Miso Baked Salmon Recipe, this tray of potato, sweet potato, carrot and onion is caramelized to golden perfection with a gorgeous miso-garlic-soy dressing. With plenty of fresh herbs and Japanese spices to finish, this is a great way to use up all the stray root veggies in your pantry.
Roasting Veggies In Two Parts
I find roasting veggies with any kind of dressing in two parts to be super effective in not only ensuring that the marinade doesn't completely dry out but also making sure that the veggies are perfectly tender and have just the right amount of crunch. So for my Japanese Miso Roasted Vegetables, I roast them first up with just a drizzle of olive oil and a bit of salt and pepper. Halfway through my roasting process, I remove them from the oven and baste them generously with the marinade. I also like to reserve a tablespoon of marinade for the end.
Once the veggies have gone through the last phase of their roasting, I often baste the finished veggies with that remaining marinade before dressing with herbs and spices. It always brings the miso and soy flavours front and center without being burnt off in the roasting process.
Ingredients & Substitutions
How To Make Japanese Roasted Vegetables
Hungry For More Recipes? Subscribe to my newsletter. Check out Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest to see everything I share! And if you love cooking and new cookbooks, join my free Cooking Club on Facebook!
- 2 medium potatoes
- 2 medium carrots
- 3 small sweet potatoes
- 3 red onions
- Olive oil, salt and pepper
for the dressing
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon mirin
- 1 tablespoon cooking sake
- 1 tablespoon miso paste
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 spring onion, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon white sesame seeds
- ½ teaspoon black sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon Shichimi Togarashi
- Handful of freshly chopped coriander leaves
- Preheat oven to 200°C (180°C fan-forced)
- Peel and cut potatoes into 1-inch pieces. Trim and peel carrots. Cut them in half lengthways and then into 1-inch pieces. Peel and cut the sweet potatoes into 1-inch rounds. Peel onions. Halve them and cut each half into quarters.
- Add all veggies to a large rimmed, lined baking sheet. Spread them so they are not touching each other. Drizzle with a bit of olive oil and sprinkle with a dash of salt and pepper.
- Roast in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Prepare the dressing by mixing garlic, ginger, soy sauce, mirin, sake, miso paste and sesame oil in a bowl.
- Remove veggies from the oven. Drizzle the dressing over the veggies and pop back in the oven to roast for a further 20-25 minutes until the veggies are tender, golden and starting to crisp around the edges.
- Remove from the oven. Scatter with spring onion and coriander. Sprinkle sesame seeds and Shichimi Togarashi. Serve immediately.
- The roasted veggies can be stored in the fridge in a lidded air-tight container for up to 3 days.