A Beetroot Carpaccio is an excellent vegan appetizer or side dish for a plant-based feast. And it requires little to no effort and can be made a day ahead! Perfectly roasted beetroot slices topped with an instant zesty broccoli crumb, a tangy mustard sauce and toasted nuts. Pretty as a picture and super healthy!
This gorgeous Vegan Beetroot Carpaccio is the ace up my sleeve for dinner parties. I created it for David Jones magazine almost a year ago and has been in regular rotation in my kitchen. It is one of those brilliant recipes that barely requires any cooking or prep but looks like a million bucks on the table. It makes an excellent starter or side dish for say a Christmas feast and everyone loves it as it is vegan and gluten-friendly.
I love serving this beetroot carpaccio on pretty platters. Often, I will double the quantity below and make two platters instead of one and place them at either end of my long table. I also mix up the ways in which I present it with the beetroot fanned out in a circle on some platters and arranged in a neat rectangle (like the one pictured here) on some platters.
So, how do you make a Vegan Beetroot Carpaccio?
You pick the freshest, firmest, largest, round beetroots you can find. And you give them a good scrub. I use a rough scrub cloth that I have reserved for scrubbing root veggies. The beetroot gets wrapped in a large piece of aluminium foil with salt, pepper and oil. And then into the oven for almost an hour to roast.
While the beetroot are roasting, it literally takes me a few minutes to mix the dressing sauce and blitz the broccoli in the processor for that beautiful lemony crumb. I store the sauce and broccoli crumb in the fridge until ready to use. Once the beetroots are cooled, I slice them up. Voila! The most gorgeous plant-based side dish ready to be served! Serve with extra crumb and dressing on the side.
If you make this beautiful Vegan Beetroot Carpaccio, please let me know your thoughts in the comments below. And don't forget to tag me on Instagram @cookrepublic with #cookrepublic. I love seeing your Cook Republic creations! x
Hungry For More Recipes? Subscribe to my newsletter. Check out Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest to see everything I share! And if you love cooking and new cookbooks, join my free Cooking Club on Facebook!
For the carpaccio
- 3 large beetroot, washed scrubbed and pat dried
- Pinch of salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Drizzle of olive oil
For the dressing
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon grain mustard
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- ½ teaspoon sea salt flakes
- 1 garlic clove, minced
For the Broccoli Crumb
- ½ cup (40 g) broccoli florets
- 1 lemon, zested
- Toasted pine nuts and micro-herbs, - to serve
- Pre-heat oven to 190°C (convention)/170°C (fan-forced/convection).
- Cut three 8-inch squares of aluminium foil. Place a beetroot in the centre of each foil. Sprinkle a pinch of salt, add a dash of freshly ground black pepper and drizzle a smidge of olive oil over each beetroot. Gather the edges of the foil and wrap the beetroots in parcels. Place on a rimmed baking tray and bake in the pre-heated oven for 1 hour. Turn off the oven and allow to cool in the oven until ready to use.
- Prepare the dressing by placing all ingredients in a small glass jar. Cover with lid and shake. Store in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Prepare the crumb by placing broccoli and lemon zest in the bowl of a small food processor. Pulse until coarse crumbs form. Store in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- To assemble, slice the tops of the baked beetroot. Cut the beetroot into thin slices using a sharp knife. Arrange beetroot slices on a platter. Top with the broccoli crumb. Drizzle with the dressing. Garnish with pine nuts and micro-herbs.
MORE BEETROOT RECIPES
- VEGAN BEETROOT QUINOA BURGERS
- BEETROOT LEAF GOZLEMES
- CHOCOLATE BEETROOT PUDDING CAKE
- BEETROOT AND CACAO NIB SMOOTHIE
- RED JUICE