Friands are based on financiers, the famous French pastry made with almond meal, powdered sugar and egg whites. With a delicate frangipane-like texture and a crisp sweet flavour, friands are punctuated by the addition of fruits, chocolates and nuts as a topping.
When I make ice cream, I make friands. It is a happy arrangement that works well for me. Ice cream needs egg yolk and friand needs egg white. Two delicious birds with one baking stone! During the warmer months when I have a hankering for friands, I just make custard out of the yolk.
This raspberry friand recipe is adapted from Donna Hay's Modern Classics 2. It is a baking book that I absolutely revere and have been baking from for the past four years. The friand recipe is a gorgeous basic recipe that I bake every time with just a change of topping.
Keeping the base recipe the same, I have baked friands topped with pecan nuts and maple syrup, strawberries, chocolate chips and baby marshmallows, blueberries and mars bar. It bakes beautifully every single time and is one of the easiest pastries I have ever whipped up. They make gorgeous little tea cakes!
Hungry For More Recipes? Subscribe to my newsletter. Check out Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest to see everything I share! And if you love cooking and new cookbooks, join my free Cooking Club on Facebook!
- 125 g butter
- 1 cup almond meal
- 1 2/3 cup pure icing sugar, sifted
- 3/4 cup plain flour, sifted
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 5 egg whites, lightly whisked
- 1/3 cup frozen raspberries
- melted butter, to grease
- flour or breadcrumbs, to coat pan
- Preheat oven to 180C (350F). Place butter in a saucepan over low heat. Cook until melted completely. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Combine almond meal, icing sugar, flour and baking powder in a bowl. Stir to mix. Add the egg whites and stir gently with a wooden spoon to mix. Add butter and mix well.
- Grease a 10 X 1/2 cup capacity friend or muffin tin with melted butter. Dust with flour or breadcrumbs. Spoon two tablespoons of mixture into each cup and sprinkle with frozen raspberries.
- Bake in preheated oven for approximately 15 to 20 minutes until cooked, risen, golden and still moist in the centre.
- Dust with icing sugar to serve.