My childhood was spent amongst mango trees, eating them straight off the branches, golden juice trickling down my arms. As an adult, I love mangoes even more because I get to experiment with them in creative new recipes in my kitchen. Needless to say, every year at the start of the mango season my excitement is out of bounds. And this year is no different, because I have decided to star this glorious fruit in as many creative and delicious drinks as I can.
And one of my first experiments is a beautifully simple and texturally gorgeous Mango Mojito. Mango, mint and rum is the ultimate tropical flavour destination. This cocktail is a joy to make. As you bash and muddle the mint leaves and crush the sweet juicy mango flesh, you feel all your senses heighten with the beautiful aromas and anticipation of the tangy flavours.
I love cocktails that have fruit and herbs running through them. It adds a whole new dimension to the drink allowing you to nibble at the fruit and drink at the same time. And what better fruit to do the nibbling with, than mango?
The Mango Mojito is topped with a chilled super bubbly sparking water that I make in my SodaStream Sparkling Water Maker. The almost invisible spray from the bubbles hits your face as you drink – a refreshing feeling absolutely synonymous with summer. I have included non-alcoholic variations in the recipe notes if you wanted to enjoy a mocktail or serve it to kids.
I hope you enjoy making this drink. I would love to hear your feedback and ratings in the comments below. Share your mango mojitos with me on Instagram using #cookrepublic.
- SodaStream sparkling water, to serve
- 1 cup (170g) fresh mango, diced
- Juice of 3 limes
- 24 mint leaves, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp raw sugar
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- Pinch of salt
- 80ml white Rum
- 1 cup crushed ice
- Mint leaves, to serve
- To prepare the SodaStream sparkling water: Fill a SodaStream 1 Litre Bottle with cold water and carbonate.
- Place mango, lime juice, mint leaves, sugar, maple syrup and salt in a cocktail shaker. Mash the mango mix with a muddler until sugar is dissolved and the mint and mango are softened.
- Pour rum over the mango mixture and shake to combine.
- Fill two 350ml capacity tumblers with crushed ice. Divide the mango mojito mix equally between the two glasses. Top with sparkling water and serve garnished with mint leaves.
Make It Non Alcoholic – Replace 80 ml rum with 40 ml apple juice and 40ml lemonade.
Note – This post is sponsored by SodaStream. The recipe and video were specially created for SodaStream’s Spirit Sparkling Water Makers. It is a brand/product that I love and have been using for almost a decade. I believe that using SodaStream is not only fun but helps reduce plastic bottle usage and waste. All opinions and musings are my own.