I first had a chocolate-avocado combination a few years ago at a friend's party where another friend had brought chocolate cupcakes with chocolate avocado icing. Ummm. It was okay. Strictly. I would need to have it at least ten times before I started enjoying it in some capacity. And I would have never been able to cajole the boys into trying it. The Flavour Thesaurus cites Chocolate as being a great flavour match for avocado because of avocado's aniseed notes. I personally don't think that is true. You see, it pairs really well with fresh, clean tastes. Like lime and cucumber and mint. To combine avocado with chocolate, you would need plenty of chocolate to drown out its fresh, almost woody, yet salty and creamy taste. In that instance, you would be using an avocado purely for its texture and healthy benefits and letting the chocolate truly shine as the hero of the dish.
It's Friday night and I have just hit the most sublime level of mousse using chocolate and avocado in the blender. One that even the boys love having with wide eyed amazement because there is avocado in it! They can't tell! I have foregone the the trendier coconut cream version and added real dark chocolate and real cream. What I love is that it comes together instantly. No cooking required. Just good old mousse ready in a couple of minutes. Tastes fantastic and quite light. And it only needs to chill for about 10-15 minutes so don't make this way ahead. Thats the whole point of it. Enjoy! Happy weekend my lovelies. x
Hungry For More Recipes? Subscribe to my newsletter. Check out Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest to see everything I share! And if you love cooking and new cookbooks, join my free Cooking Club on Facebook!
- 2 avocados, peeled and seed removed
- 3 tablespoons cacao/cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 100 g melted dark chocolate, cooled
- 3 tablespoons pure cream, or pouring cream
- fresh fruit, to serve
- Place all ingredients in the jug of a blender and process for a couple of minutes, until smooth.
- Divide and scoop mousse equally into 4 X 250ml capacity glasses/jars. Chill in the refrigerator for 15 minutes. Serve topped with fresh fruit and extra cream.
Magimix Cook Expert Method
- Place all ingredients in the metal bowl with the lid attached.
- Fit the Whisk attachment to the bowl. Mix using the EXPERT programme 5 min / speed 5/ 0°C with lid on.
- Halfway through the mixing, press STOP. Open the lid and scrape down the sides of the bowl with the spatula. Put the lid back on and press AUTO to continue mixing.