The Vegan Tahini Cookies were such a huge hit that I got countless emails asking for more vegan and gluten free cookie recipes that were not only delicious but easy to make and full of wholesome ingredients. So I shared another recipe of almond butter cookies that we love. But the one I was most excited about was this recipe for Vegan Cardamom And Rose Cookies! Inspired by this gorgeous almond and rose bread that I used to bake regularly many moons ago, I created a truly aromatic chewy cookie with flavours so divine that they'll transport you to blush kissed alleyways of Morocco. I have baked this for family and for friends and every single person who has tried this cookie asks for the recipe so they can bake it right away!
If you have almond meal for the recipe, your cookies will end up being lighter in colour with a warm oven glow. If you are using whole ground almonds, the cookies will be a shade darker and more rustic. Either way, they will taste amazing. I started out testing a smaller quantity of this recipe that made 8 cookies. I quickly realised the folly of my ways when all 8 cookies were consumed within minutes in the name of taste testing. I felt like 8 wasn't a decent number for any self-proclaimed healthy cookie lover. So I set out to double the finished recipe. This quantity that I now share, makes 16 cookies and the dough is even better than the first few batches.
The cookie dough is safe to eat raw, like in all previous vegan cookies I have shared. You can roll the dough into bliss balls and stock up in the fridge or in your pantry in air tight containers. Baked cookies keep really well at room temperature for up to a week. The use of olive oil adds a lightness in taste and texture (I honestly can't deal with coconut oil in vegan baking as I feel it is very overpowering and detrimental to the taste of the baked treat). So a lighter tasting olive oil is the way to go. The dough mixes by hand in just one bowl and the cookie is so easy to mix and bake, you will be amazed! I have now baked these 6 times and it only takes 12-14 minutes from start to finish.
I hope you bake and love these. Please leave me a comment/rating with your feedback below. It helps others try out the recipe too. Don't forget to share your photos with me on Instagram by tagging @cookrepublic. Happy baking lovelies! Sneh x
Hungry For More Recipes? Subscribe to my newsletter. Check out Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest to see everything I share! And if you love cooking and new cookbooks, join my free Cooking Club on Facebook!
8 INGREDIENT VEGAN CARDAMOM AND ROSE COOKIES
- 3 cups (360 g) almond meal , or ground whole almonds
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 1/2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons rosewater
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt flakes
- crushed pistachios and dried rose petals , for topping
- Pre-heat oven to 190°C (convention) / 170°C (fan-forced/convection)
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with baking paper.
- Place almond meal, olive oil, maple syrup, rosewater, cardamom, vanilla, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl. Using your hands, knead the mixture into a dough.
- Take about a tablespoon of mixture and roll it into a ball. Place on the prepared sheet and flatten with the palm of your hand. Repeat for the remaining mixture. You should get about 16 cookies.
- Press crushed pistachios and rose petals on top of each cookie. When you do this, the edges might flare and crack, just pinch together and smooth the edges.
- Bake in pre-heated oven for 10-12 minutes (for chewy cookies) or 14 minutes (for crispier cookies).