If you love mug cakes (of course you do!) then you will love this quick dessert of buttery flaky pastry topped with a caramel fudgy frangipane and paper thin apple slices, baked to golden must-be-eaten-with-a-dollop-of-ice cream perfection. An abomination of a traditional tart masquerading as a thin-crust sweet pizza, who really cares what it is called as long as it takes less than half an hour from the oven to seducing you on the couch.
Okay, if you are used to the ease of a 2 minute mug cake then the 20 minutes it takes to bake this might seem like a stretch but believe me you, it is worth it. A good quality frozen puff pastry is a must. This forms the base of the dessert. The frangipane or sauce if you will can be made in a minute (My boys timed me!), can be made in advance and will keep in the fridge for up to 4 days. Are you getting excited yet? I am sharing my secret, fool proof, gorgeous caramel frangipane recipe. So use it wisely. And you literally need one apple.
I wanted to get this amazing recipe to you in time for the weekend. Hope you make it. Hope you love it. This weekend I add two more gorgeous stone mortar and pestle sets to my collection of aged vintage treasures. I was lucky enough to score these on ebay and etsy as they are increasingly hard to find. They were made by Wedgwood in England and were the pride of apothecaries and used by pharmacists dating as far back as the early 19th century. The light is dappled in my favourite corner of my kitchen where these are resting at the moment nestled amidst a bunch of foraged Australian bush flora and I can sense a weekend of pestos, chutnies and spice rubs coming alive in them.
Don't forget to share your feedback in the comments below and if you snap a picture, tag me on Instagram with #cookrepublic. I have over 100 such fun and quick recipes in my cookbook Tasty Express which would make an awesome gift to yourself or a loved one. I have very limited copies left and my publishers have run out of their copies, so don't miss out on a great bargain ($9.95 capped shipping in Australia no matter how many copies you buy!)
Happy weekend lovely folks! x
BROWSE >> APPLE RECIPES
BROWSE >> DESSERT RECIPES
THREE YEARS AGO – ZUCCHINI COCONUT LUNCHBOX BREAD
FOUR YEARS AGO – RICOTTA MUFFINS WITH STRAWBERRY
FIVE YEARS AGO – CITRUS MADELEINES
SEVEN YEARS AGO – WHOLEMEAL AND TOTALLY WICKED CHOCOLATE CAKE
Hungry For More Recipes? Subscribe to my newsletter. Check out Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest to see everything I share! And if you love cooking and new cookbooks, join my free Cooking Club on Facebook!
- 1 apple, thinly sliced
- 1 puff pastry sheet, cut into a 20 cm round
- raw sugar, to sprinkle
- icing sugar, to dust
for the frangipane
- 1 cup (100 g) almond meal
- 1 egg
- 50 g butter, room temperature
- 50 g rapadura sugar, or coconut sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla bean powder, or vanilla extract
- Pre-heat oven to 200°C (400°F). Line a large baking sheet with baking paper.
- To prepare frangipane, mix all ingredients in a medium bowl with a spoon until it forms a thick smooth paste.
- Score a 1cm border in the pastry round. Spread the frangipane inside this border all over the pastry round. Arrange apple slices in a circle. Sprinkle with extra raw sugar. Bake in the pre-heated oven for approximately 18 minutes until golden and crisp.
- Remove from oven. Dust with icing sugar. Cut into slices and serve warm with vanilla ice cream.
- I bake using a convection oven setting. If baking in a fan-forced oven, reduce oven temperature by approximately 20°C (68F).
- Make sure you remove the seeds of the apple after slicing it thinly.