What started out months ago as a fridge clean out recipe helped by a magazine cut out in my recipe folder, has become a glorious stir-fry dish packed with all the serves of vegetables you will need in a single day in just one delicious bowl. This Kale Mushroom Cashew Stir Fry is so much more than what its name suggests. It has cauliflower and capsicum and ginger and chilli. All brought together by some bold Chinese flavours.
Stir-fries are another example of a fast and utterly nourishing weeknight meal. The prep time is usually always double the cooking time but even then, it is ridiculously fast. I use a carbon steel wok (a cheap 34cm wok with a wooden handle, I bought at a Chinese supermarket years ago). I have three carbon steel woks in different sizes, the largest being the most useful. Because with woks you must know this - it needs to be at least twice the size of the amount of food you are cooking to enable the stirring and tossing. The carbon steel woks are also thin allowing high heat to singe and char your food to perfection - just like authentic Chinese restaurants.
I use a super-sized chopping board and prep all my stir-fry ingredients while I pop the rice in the rice cooker. I arrange the stir-fry ingredients in the order in which they go in the wok. It streamlines my entire cooking process. (You can read more stir-fry and wok tips in this post).
The shiitake mushroom is ideal for this meatless stir fry as it has a gorgeous meaty texture and woodsy flavour. It adds plump juiciness to the dish and is an excellent source of vitamin B and protein while being low carb. The combination of earthy kale, warming ginger, gut friend cauliflower and stimulating chilli makes this dish a true weeknight powerhouse that would be a treat in your work lunchbox if you have any leftovers.
If you make and love this dish, please leave me your feedback in the comments and rating below. I have made this stir-fry twice last month and three times this month and feel really great after having a bowlful. Enjoy! x
Hungry For More Recipes? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Instagram, Facebook and Pinterest to see everything I share!
Hungry For More Recipes? Subscribe to my newsletter. Check out Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest to see everything I share! And if you love cooking and new cookbooks, join my free Cooking Club on Facebook!
KALE MUSHROOM CASHEW STIR FRYPrint Recipe Rate / Comment
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 2 cups (140 g) cauliflower florets
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) water
- 1 tablespoon finely grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon red chilli flakes
- 1/2 cup (75 g) raw cashew nuts
- 200 g fresh shiitake mushroom, sliced
- 1/2 (75 g) red capsicum, sliced
- 300 g kale, shredded
- sliced spring onions, sesame seeds and chilli flakes, to serve
for the stir-fry sauce
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) light soy sauce or tamari
- 2 tablespoons Shiaoxing wine
- 1 1/2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon Chinese five spice powder
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons water
- Make the stir-fry sauce by mixing all ingredients in a lidded jar and shaking well. Can be stored in the fridge for up to five days and used as required.
- Heat a large wok on high. Add one tablespoon peanut oil. Add cauliflower and stir fry on high for a couple of minutes until starting to char. Reduce heat to medium, add 1/4 cup water and cook for approximately 8 - 10 minutes until the cauliflower is just tender and water has dried up. Remove to a bowl and set aside.
- Heat the wok on high. Add the remaining tablespoon of peanut oil. Stir fry ginger, chilli, cashew nuts and mushroom on high for a minute until mushroom is glazed and starting to soften. Add capsicum and kale. Stir fry for another minute until kale is glossy.
- Add the cooked cauliflower and stir-fry sauce to the wok and toss and cook for a couple of minutes until thoroughly coated and warmed through.
- Garnish with sliced spring onions, sesame seeds and extra chilli flakes.
- Serve immediately with steamed rice on the side.
Thanks Sneh, this is such a simple and wholesome recipe!
I followed it to the T and was so happy with the outcome. The combination of kale with cauli, cashew and other veggies is unique to me. It is a yum lunch option and keeps easily for 3-4 days in the fridge.
The next time, I would tone down the maple and maybe add enoki mushrooms.
So delicious and a bonus that it’s quick and easy to make. Love the cashews and the sauce was a winner! We swapped the rice wine for gin and worked well. Thanks for a lovely recipe.
I love this recipe - have made it many times now! I often use chanterelle mushrooms and the sauce really compliments their flavour!
thank you for your lovely feedback Nicole 🙂 x
Yum! Delicious vegetarian stir fry, especially the flavour in the mushrooms. Simple but tasty sauce combination. Thanks for sharing the recipe.
I had never cross such a delicious dish...its too yummy
I made this for work lunches this week. It was quick, really tasty, and is good reheated. I love kale and cauliflower, but have never thought to put them in a stir fry before! Will definitely make again.
I made the kale, mushroom and cashew stir fry last night. Easy to make, quick and absolutely yummy. The perfect recipe. So good, we are having it again tonight. Thanks for sharing this recipe.