It’s friday again which means it is Cocktail & Canapé night while watching re-runs of our favourite movies. Winter has unexpectedly arrived early, much to my delight. There is a cold snap gathering strength across Australia and although this might warrant a hot toddy or a mulled wine, I have decided to boldly make a couple of fruity but warming margaritas from a bag of fresh passionfruit I scored at the markets yesterday. Passionfruit margarita is always a hit in our home. Who doesn’t love tequila, lime and fruit with some salt and perhaps spice to shake things up?
This passionfruit margarita recipe will serve two. You can easily double it to serve four or half it to serve one. I must admit, I have become a bit of a glassware snob. More so in the past year. I find that the perfect glass (or for that matter, the perfect plate!) truly enhances the drink or dish, making the act of consuming even more glorious. And to that extent, I have built up my glassware collection to a point where it fills up two cupboards (yikes!). A traditional margarita would be served in a stemmed margarita saucer. But times have changed and it is much more hip to serve a margarita in a small fancy salt-rimmed tumbler.
This time around, I have used inexpensive Santorini tumblers from Kmart that flare out at the belly, fitting them snugly in the palm of your hand. Small tumblers for a standard martini are great because they are perfect for filling with just the right amount of ice so your drink doesn’t get diluted. With the Mexican influence, there are so many brilliant canapé pairings for margaritas – a fresh Guacamole With Smoky Black Beans to serve with corn chips, Grilled Buttered Corn With Hot Mexican Spice Rub (yum!) or Spicy Chicken Lime Tacos (I also make a vegan version by swapping chicken for portobello mushroom).
I hope you enjoy making these passionfruit margaritas. Share your margarita pictures with me on Instagram using @cookrepublic and #cookrepublic. Have a wonderful weekend guys! Gracias x
- the pulp of 6 medium-large passion fruit
- juice of 1 lime
- 110ml Tequila
- 40 ml Aperol
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup/sugar syrup
- salt for rim
- ice and lime wedges to serve
- Fill a cocktail shaker with 1/2 cup ice cubes. Pour over passion fruit pulp, lime juice, Tequila, Aperol and maple syrup.
- Cover and shake for at least 30 seconds until the cocktail is well combined and chilled.
- Place crushed sea salt flakes in a medium shallow dish. Wet the rim of two 345ml capacity glass tumblers with lime juice (I run a squeezed lime wedge over the rim). Place the tumbler, mouth down in the salt dish and roll the rim in salt.
- Fill each tumbler with a few ice cubes.
- Strain and pour the cocktail equally over the ice cubes in the tumblers.
- Garnish with lime wedges and serve immediately.
I like to add some passion fruit seeds to the cocktail just before serving rather than strain them all out. They look pretty.