If you are looking for a wholesome, lighter, dairy free banana bread recipe with a high toastability factor then you must bake this Olive Oil Banana Bread. Preferably tonight so you can cut yourself a thick slice tomorrow morning, toast it to golden perfection and enjoy with lashings of butter. I suppose that would be counter productive to the dairy-free nature of this delicious bread but can you really have toasted banana bread without butter? Hmm, I think not.
Out of all the banana bread recipes on my blog, this is my second favourite after this recipe (because who can resist chocolate chips and frozen berries?). But it is my number one for an everyday banana bread that rises tall, holds its shape, produces a nice looking loaf and toasts like a dream. No wetness in sight for miles! The coconut flour takes care of this fact. The spices develop in flavour overnight and the bread smells and tastes even more amazing the next day.
I ALWAYS double the recipe and have four bowls going when I make this. For the same amount of trouble, I end up with two gorgeous loaves, instead of one. Often I'll take the other loaf to a friend or just slice and freeze the whole thing as part of my meal prep for the coming weeks.
Hope you love this Olive Oil Banana Bread, make it and share it with me on Instagram using @cookrepublic #cookrepublic and don't forget to leave your feedback in the comments and rating below. Happy baking! x
Hungry For More Recipes? Subscribe to my newsletter. Check out Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest to see everything I share! And if you love cooking and new cookbooks, join my free Cooking Club on Facebook!
- 1 1/2 cups (200 g) wholemeal spelt flour
- 1/2 cup (65 g) coconut flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1/2 cup coconut yoghurt
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 egg
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- a handful of rolled oats
- cinnamon sugar or raw sugar to sprinkle
- Preheat oven to 190°C (convention)/ 170°C (fan-forced/convection). Grease and line a 22cm X 9cm (base measurement) loaf tin with baking paper.
- Add spelt flour, coconut flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and mixed spice to a large bowl. Toss to mix.
- Place coconut yoghurt, water, olive oil, maple syrup and egg in a medium bowl. Whisk lightly until combined.
- Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture. Add the mashed banana. Mix gently with a wooden spoon until thoroughly combined.
- Spoon batter into the prepared tin and smooth the top. Scatter oats and raw sugar/cinnamon sugar on top.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for approximately 40 minutes until golden and crusty and cooked through the middle. Turn oven off. Leave in the hot oven for another 10 minutes. Remove from oven and cool completely or enjoy warm.
- Great when toasted. Can be sliced and individual slices can be wrapped in baking paper and stored in small ziplock bags in the freezer for a fast to-go breakfast.